[iframe style=”border:none” src=”//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/21658364/height/100/width/480/thumbnail/no/render-playlist/no/theme/legacy/tdest_id/241684″ height=”100″ width=”480″ scrolling=”no” allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen]
- In this episode of the REAL MAN i speak with Nick Mayhugh:
LOVE OF THE GAME
- Nick Mayhugh is the 100m World & American Record Holder and 200m American Record Holder, dual Team USA Athlete, midfielder for the United States Para 7-a-side National Team, Sprinter for the US Para Track & Field National Team and Public Speaker.
- Nick has a form of Cerebral Palsy.
- Ever since he can remember, Nick has had a numbing feeling along the left side of his body. Growing up, he always knew something was “wrong,” but when he mentioned it to his teachers, doctors, coaches, and even his own parents, no one believed him. He was always told what he was experiencing was normal and decided to keep his head down, hold onto that chip on his shoulder, and keep it a secret for as long as he could, while proving to those around him what he knew all along, that he could continue to play soccer at the highest level, even without the use of his left side.
- “Throughout my entire childhood, no one understood me when I would express that my norm was different from those around me. My doctors and family were unaware of the numbness and side effects I was experiencing until we later learned that it was the result of a stroke that occurred in utero. In 2010, I suffered a grand mal seizure, biting through both sides of my tongue and was rushed to the hospital for tests and scans, which ultimately led to the discovery of a dead spot on the right side of my brain. All the dots started to connect from the symptoms I had experienced earlier in my childhood. I was finally given an explanation for my norm. The stroke created the dead spot which is responsible for the lack of feeling, motor movement, and sensation mainly in my left arm, hand, and leg. It was then that I was formally diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy.”
- Nick was told he would NEVER play sports again…
- Check out Nick at https://www.nickmayhugh.com/
- Real Man: https://realmanseries.com/